- To protect a decayed, weak or cracked tooth
- To restore an already broken or severely worn down tooth
- To cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn't a lot of tooth left
- To hold a dental bridge in place
- To cover severely discolored teeth
- To cover a dental implant
- To make a cosmetic modification
- Porcelain & Zirconia crowns: These are metal-free crowns that are digitally constructed either in an office or in a dental lab. They are the most cosmetically pleasing as they provide better natural color match than any other crown type, Hence, they are a extensively recommended for front teeth.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns: These crowns can be color matched to your adjacent teeth (unlike the metallic crowns). Next to all-porcelain crowns, porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns look most like normal teeth. However, sometimes the metal underlying the crown's porcelain can show through as a dark line, especially at the gum line and even more so if your gums recede. These crowns can be a good choice for front or back teeth.
- Metal crowns: metals used in crowns include gold alloy, other alloys (for example, palladium), or a base-metal alloy. Metal crowns withstand biting and chewing forces well, however the metallic color is a drawback. Metal crowns are a good choice for out-of-sight molars.
Preparing a tooth for a crown usually requires two visits to the dentist -- the first step involves examining and preparing the tooth, the second visit involves placement of the permanent crown.
On average, dental crowns last between five and 15 years. The life span of a crown depends on the amount of "wear and tear" the crown is exposed to, how well you follow good oral hygiene practices, and your personal mouth-related habits (you should avoid such habits as grinding or clenching your teeth).
Our dentist can help give you the dental crowns you need. Call our Arlington office at (508) 720-5000 and make an appointment to see our dental implant specialist. Our office serves Arlington, Sherborn, Dover, Wellesley, Framingham, Wayland, Ashland, and Holliston.